“Getting Acquainted with Your New Home” Orville Jenkins
Things to learn
- How do I say hello?
- How do I say goodbye?
- How, what, and when do people eat?
- How to behave as a guest in someone’s house?
- How much space is personal space?
- How late is late?
- What is immodest?
- What clothing is appropriate?
- What are appropriate and inappropriate relationships toward the opposite sex?
- What are appropriate and inappropriate gestures?
- What are appropriate and inappropriate forms of physical contact?
- What are the roles of family members?
- What are the rites or special occasions during someone’s life?
- What are the defining parts of the history?
- What aspects of history or politics should not be discussed?
- Who are the majors heroes or figures who have shaped the nation?
- When are the holidays?
- What is the structure of the government?
- When are the elections?
- What is the relationship between the national and local government?
- What are the major political parties?
- What are the titles for those in authority?
- What is the legal process?
- How should I respond towards the police?
- What things would I need permission for?
- What rights do I have?
- What should I do if I am involved in a vehicle accident?
- What should I do if my house is broken into?
- What is the budget for an average family for one month?
- What are the main industries?
- What is the main source of news?
- What magazines are widely read?
- What are the major radio stations?
- What are the marriage customs?
- What are the burial customs?
- What are the religious customs?
- Where are the places of worship?
- What are the folk beliefs?
Even though you are stilled jet lagged there are some things you will need to take care of right away when you arrive of the mission field. Here is a list to get you started. This is based on “Getting Acquainted with Your New Home” Orville Jenkins
- How long can I stay in the country?
- What documents should I carry with me?
- What documents do I need to drive?
- What taxes, fee, or duties will I need to pay?
- What should I do in case of an accident or emergency?
- What laws relate to hiring workers?
- Register with the embassy
- Get a mobile phone
- Get an internet connection
- How can I change dollars to local currency?
- Is it recommended to use credit or debit cards?
- Where is an ATM machine?
- How will I receive my financial support?
- What expenses may be reimbursed and what is the procedure?
- Will I have a cash advance for work or medical treatment?
Get moved in
- Where will I live?
- Will I have house help, yard workers, or a guard?
- Are there any crime or safety issues related to my residence?
- How much are monthly utility costs?
- What should I do if there are housing or utility problems?
- Where should I shop?
- How much should I expect to pay for common goods? Should I bargain?
- Where is the hospital or clinic?
- Where is the pharmacy?
- What doctors do you recommend?
- Where is a safe place I can go if case of emergency?